Monday 22 September 2008

Unbearable Pain


Unbearable Pain. This picture never ceases to upset me. I can feel the pain again just by looking at this photo. I was at home following my Gynae Operation. I was in terrific pain. My tummy was so distended I looked 6 months pregnant. My Mum and partner were with me at all times, offering their support. No amount of tablets eased my pain. Every time I moved, even a little bit, I heard 'Sloshing' noises coming from my tummy. I could feel the 'fluid' moving inside me like a tidal wave. My only relief came when I laid in the bath and my mum would pour warm water over me. It was the worst experience of my life and one that I hope never to be repeated. We did explain this all to my GP who explained that I was suffering from Post Operative Air! He prescribed me with Senakot (Laxative) and a Lactose Syrup. I was to ring back in a couple of days if I was no better. Early on the Saturday morning, I knew I had to get help and fast. We called the surgery. This was not open, so we were directed through to 'key-doc' out of hours surgery. They informed us that someone would call back within 45 minutes. I knew I didn't have 45 minutes so therefore we called 999. The ambulance crew were with me very quickly. They had to work on me for some 20 minutes in the ambulance and in view of my poor mum. A crash team were put on standby at the hospital, and once I was stable we headed there. I was examined immediately and x-rayed. Tubes were then put up my nose and down into my tummy. What came up the tubes was brown. I was immediately taken into surgery.

No comments: