Thursday 18 September 2008

Reversal........DONE!!




Reversal Done


Phew. Just one more Operation planned now for January (reversal of Ileostomy) and I should be somewhere near to getting back to some sort of normality. I was told to expect a 2 week stay in hospital but miraculously I was in and out in 4 days! I was told that this was due to my 'obs' being ok and to prevent me contracting any hospital infections ( like last time!!). I am not saying I didnt want to be home but it was all a bit raw and quite scary. The last time I was in, I was very poorly and all a little hazy but this time I went into hospital well so for me it was very scary. My previous experience all came flooding back, not nice but I was looked after very well this time. I had my own room to!


The only problems this time were my breathing. I was only breathing 4 breaths per minute but this all rectified itself. I also have a Haematoma (spelling?) This is basically a blood clot under the skin. It was huge post op, like a tennis ball but it has began to disburse now and the swelling is going down thankfully. If it hadnt started to go down there are a few things that can be done. Doctors can put a needle into the swelling and try to draw off the clot or, open up the scar and let it drain. I so did not want this option as this time the surgeon has sorted out my scar. I was told that this opening is not resealed so I would have been left with a wider scar as before. So, I am so happy that its disbursing as it should naturally. I still have a very odd shaped tummy at the moment due to Gynae scar etc but I am getting there.


I have been told that the reversal went to plan. I now have a new stoma, which I am struggling with to be honest but its working as it should. Its just very different. It sticks out like a witches nose! and produces more regulary, which means I have to spend more time on its care and attention.

No comments: