Friday 19 September 2008

Aftermath - Hartmann's Procedure - Colostomy

Colostomy. What a suprise this was upon wakening. You can see my new friend whom I call 'Beanie'. My wounds are nicely dressed but the swelling as you can see is pretty horrendous. I had been transferred from HDU onto a ward by this time. Due to having Peritonitus and Septicemia my wound was leaking alot and I had to have my dressings changed at regular intervals through the day and night. Eventually my wound had to be opened up to allow the infection to drain away quicker.

Hartmann's Procedure
This operation is often carried out as an emergency if there has been a perforation of the bowel, especially if you have diverticular disease, colorectal cancer or had a trauma to the bowel. The lower part of the colon is removed from the rectum, the bowel is divided and the top end is brought out on to the abdomen as a colostomy. The top of the rectum/back passage is oversewn and left inside. Although the stoma may be closed at a later date this is not without some risk and you are advised to discuss this with your surgeon. This may be due to infection or scarring from previous surgery and your general physical state of health. You may still experience the feeling that you need to open your bowels. You may still pass some stool or mucus from your back passage following this operation.

No comments: